Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why can and dehydrate? READ!

Well I conquered my first attempt at canning! Canned some chili. I also went shopping today and bought about $70 worth of fruits and veggies. Roma tomatoes were on sale so bought a ton of those and going to can. Plus a lot of the fruit will be dehydrated and stored in the pantry.

Why can and dehydrate food?

First off I want to make sure that my children always have something to eat if the power were to ever go out or if there was ever a disaster of some sort. You never know what could happen. I'm not a survivalist nut I just don't see anything wrong with being prepared. I'll date all my food and make sure it is used and not wasted but my goal is to make at least a months worth of food and store it. Canning may seem complicated but it is sooo easy! Plus I know what is going in our food and that alone is comforting. Dehydrated fruits and veggies can last up to a year and dehydrated meats can last that long as well but only if they are vacuum sealed. Anyways, that is more detailed stuff I can get into later :) Any questions, just ask

The second reason is to save money!!! You buy your veggies every week..la de da...But what if your favorite veggie or fruit goes on sale? Roma tomatoes were just on sale at m grocery store so I bought a ton of them and going to can them this week :) So buy the produce when it is on sale, can it or dehydrate it and don't pay full price every week!

Plus it is a great feeling knowing exactly what is in your food and that it is HEALTHY! My pantry is barely stocked right now but it makes me feel so accomplished to know I'm well on my way to making sure my kids never go hungry and eat healthy. Absolutely love it! :)

April...Keeping it Simple ;)

If you do have any questions you can email me aprilorsten at yahoo dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment